Learn about the workings of a Kawai Grand Piano from Tom Buglio, our Manager of the piano department.
FACTS TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING A USED PIANO
**BUYING A USED PIANO PRIVATLEY CAN BE DANGEROUS AND EXPENSIVE**
WHAT APPEARS TO BE A RARE OR GREAT BARGAIN MAY PROVE TO BE A REAL LIABILITY. UNLESS YOU ARE A PIANO EXPERT, YOUR BEST ASSURANCE IS TO RELY ON THE JUDGEMENT OF THE MOST EXPERIENCED DEALER IN YOUR AREA WITH A PROVEN TRACK RECORD OF EXPERIENCE, INTEGRITY, STABILITY, HONESTY AND LONGEVITY.
IT IS UNWISE TO “PICK UP” AN OLD PIANO PRIVATELY “TO GET STARTED WITH”. A POOR PIANO OFFERS DISCOURAGEMENT TO A CHILD AND, AT BEST, A QUESTIONABLE INVESTMENT FOR THE PARENT.
HERE ARE JUST A FEW OF THE “MANY” DANGER AREAS ENCOUNTERED WHEN A NON-EXPERT PIANO BUYER BUYS A PIANO PRIVATELY;
1. PLATE – May be cracked or broken which cripples the piano musically and renders it virtually useless.
2. STRINGS – Bass strings may be “tired and tubby”, totally devoid of tone.
3. SOUNDING BOARD – May be cracked, or worse yet, may have lost its crown to become totally deficient.
4. RIBS – May be broken or pulled away from the soundboard.
5. BRIDGES – May have lost proper bearing, be broken, split or cracked, necessitating a major expense.
6. TUNING PINS/PIN BLOCK – May be loose, may have been previously “Doped”, may require oversize pins, may require a new pin block. (Approximate repair price range $1500-$2500) Avoid any piano with pins showing evidence of having been pounded.
7. PIN PLANK – May be split and is very costly to repair. Since this is concealed, experienced judgment is required.
8. ACTIONS – May be literally worn out, rendering the piano useless. The piano may “look new” outside which can be deceiving. If rebushing is required, this is very costly. A complete regulation requires much time of an expert and is expensive if properly done.
9. HAMMER – May be worn out or improperly filed so as to require replacement which is another costly repair.
SOURCE of INFORMATION: PIERCE PIANO ATLAS & TAYLOR’S MUSIC
1-800-291-9700 or visit http://www.taylorsmusic.com
Watch Pete Thompson talk about the Kawai Player Piano with iPad technology. Truly amazing!
The new iPad Player System brings invisible technology and wireless control to your piano. You’ll love how easy it is to download, store, organize and play your music from this sleek controller. You can also enjoy endless entertainment with PianoDisc’s free Internet Streaming Radio Broadcast. Take advantage of the iPad’s larger visual display to view sheet music or simply watch PianoVideo performances.Click the arrow to watch the video.